Close this search box.

Permits, Forms & Fees

Apply for a Permit

First determine the scope of work by reviewing our Permit Types. Then follow the corresponding steps below.



  • Select “Create Application”. Review and accept the General Disclaimer terms.
  • Click “Continue Application”
  • Select the type of permit you need and click “Continue Application”


Complete the online form by using the directions to understand what is required for each section. If any steps or required information are missing, error messages will pop up at the top of the screen to inform you of what needs to be fixed.
For help, view our ACA “Create a Building Application on ACA” video.

Address Tip: For best results, please enter the Street Number ONLY and click “Search”. If only one address is available, it will populate the address, parcel number and owner. If multiple addresses are available, select the correct address for your project. If the parcel number or owner has recently changed, check the change of ownership box and submit the permit request.

Upload any plans/documents required for review. See guidelines below:


  • After your permit request is successfully submitted, you will see the new record number in your Citizen Access account under “My Records”. The record status will be “Applied”.
  • Processing staff will review new submittals in the order they are received. You will receive an email that it has been received and is under review.
  • The new request will be reviewed by staff to determine if enough information has been provided for processing. If required information is missing, you will be contacted via email with the information or actions necessary for the application to be processed.


  • When all required information is provided, you will be sent an email to pay for plan review fees. Once paid online, the plans will be routed for plan review.
  • When the application has been processed and review is completed, you will receive an email notification to pay fees online.
  • After payment has been processed, you will automatically receive an email to log back into ACA to retrieve the plans and permit. The permit documents and job inspection card must be printed and be available on site for inspection.


Before applying for an automated solar plan review and solar permit, projects must follow certain requirements. At this time, SolarAPP+ is designed to provide a code-compliance check for the majority of single-family residential, roof-mounted, retrofit photovoltaic systems. To see which systems are eligible, please refer to the Eligibility Checklist. Only projects that conform to this list are eligible to use the automated SolarAPP+ portal for permitting. If not eligible, use Accela Citizen Access.

I. Submit for automated review through SolarAPP+

  • To start using SolarAPP+, register and submit your design through the SolarAPP+.
  • A processing fee will be charged by SolarAPP+. Download the approved documents. 

II. Apply for a City of Pleasanton Permit

III. Upon Approval

  • Upon payment, you will receive your approved permit and receipt via email. Download the approved documents from Accela Citizen Access. Print the permit, approved documents, job inspection card and Smoke Alarm & Carbon Monoxide Alarm Certification Form to have on site for inspection. The project will not be finaled without a completed Smoke Alarm & Carbon Monoxide Alarm Certification Form (residential only). 
  • Schedule your inspection or call (925) 931-5322, extension 1.

IV. Revisions to Approved SolarAPP+ Permits

  • Submit the revision through SolarAPP+ and download the revised approved documents.
  • Through Accela Citizen Access, find your existing approved SolarAPP+ permit under “My Records” or use the search bar to search for the permit number. 
  • Upload the revised SolarAPP+ approved documents and Revision Form.
  • Permit Technicians will be notified when there is a revision for review and you will receive updates via email. 

We offer over-the-counter building permits for a limited variety of projects. To find out if your project qualifies for same-day issuance, review our Express Permits guidelines.

  1. Fill out or download the Encroachment Permit Application
  2. If downloaded, please submit
    • By Fax – (925) 931-5479
    • In-person at 200 Old Bernal Avenue

Encroachment permits are typically issued on the same day. Some complicated encroachment permits with traffic control plans may require up to 4 business days to process.

  1. Fill out the Building Permit Application
  2. Complete Electronic Fire Plan Check Submittal
  1. Review PERMIT TYPES below to see submittal requirements for your project
  2. Fill out the Application for Development Review
  3. Complete Electronic Planning Submittal
    • Fill out form
    • Attach application for development review and all required information
    • Click “Send”

What is an Accessory Dwelling Unit and a Junior Accessory Dwelling Unit?

Accessory dwelling unit (ADU) means an attached or a detached residential dwelling unit which provides complete independent living facilities for one or more persons and is located on a lot with one or more proposed or existing primary residences. It must include permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking, and sanitation.

A Junior Accessory Dwelling Unit, also known as a JADU, is a residential unit that is no more than 500 square feet in size that is contained entirely within the walls of a single-family residence, including an attached garage, and that has a separate entrance. At a minimum, a JADU Unit includes an efficiency kitchen with a food preparation counter, cooking facility with appliances and storage cabinets, and may include a separate bathroom or may share a bathroom within the existing single-family residence. 

ADU Permit

Permitting of an ADU requires its own permit, separate from any other work occurring on the primary residence, even if the ADU is attached to the primary residence. If the ADU project work is planned to occur at the same time a remodel or addition is to occur on the primary residence, a separate permit is required (i.e., one permit for primary residence work and a second permit for the ADU). The two permit requests will generally be processed at the same time, but the reviews will occur individually, and a separate permit will be issued for the specific address of each residence. Permit requests that combine the ADU work with the primary residence work cannot be processed and will be rejected. This causes processing time delays for applicants because they need to revise their project plans to pull apart the work for the two separate residences and then submit them individually. To avoid such a delay, applicants need to make sure that their ADU permit request is a separate, standalone permit application.

Permitting Resources:

AB 2234 Planning and Zoning – Housing Post-Entitlement Phase Permit Examples

Effective January 1, 2024, under AB 2234, local agencies must prepare post-entitlement permit application lists specifying required application materials. Local agencies are also required to post an example of a complete set of post-entitlement permits for at least 5 types of housing development projects, such as ADU, single-family, multi-family, mixed-use and townhomes. 

Permit Types

  • Residential
    • Residential Accessory Structure – sheds, gazebos, trellis
    • Residential Addition – attached ADUs, room additions, square footage additions
    • Residential Alteration – reroof, kitchen and bathroom remodels
    • Residential Demolition – full building demolition
    • Residential New Construction – new homes, detached ADUs
    • Residential Photo-Voltaic System – solar power systems
    • Residential Trade – water heaters, electric panel upgrades, HVAC, EV Chargers, minor plumbing
  • Commercial
    • Commercial Accessory Structure – sheds, gazebos, trellis
    • Commercial Addition – new trash enclosure, square footage additions
    • Commercial Alteration – reroof, tenant improvements
    • Commercial Demolition – Interior or full building demolition
    • Commercial New – new buildings
    • Commercial Photo-Voltaic System – solar power system
    • Commercial Trade – water heaters, electric panel upgrades, HVAC, EV Chargers, minor plumbing
  • Encroachment – for use of public right-of-way including:
    • Erecting poles, signs, other structures
    • Temporary placement of PODs/moving storage boxes or dumpsters on the street
    • Working on utilities on the street
    • Parklets and/or sidewalk dining
    • Repairing sidewalks, curb and gutter, or driveway approach
    • Excavating/trenching or constructing within the right-of-way
    • Planting any tree, shrub, grass, or other growing thing between the sidewalk and curb
    • Installing/removing concrete or hardscape between the sidewalk and curb
    • Placing displays, racks, signs, etc. on the sidewalk

If unsure whether encroachment permit is required, please call (925) 931-5650.

  • Utility Encroachment Permits

The Public Works Inspections Division is responsible for the plan review and permit issuance for Utility Company infrastructure (i.e. pipes, poles, transformers, conduits, cabinets, underground vaults and other facilities) constructed within City streets and sidewalks by utility companies. The Utility Encroachment Permit Application and required attachments can be emailed to PW Inspections Division. Please note, the updated permit application includes a checklist of requirements to be incorporated in the project plans starting January 1, 2020. The checklist must be included with the utility encroachment application and incomplete applications will not be reviewed.

Sprinklers, alarms, HAZMAT, commercial hood and ducts, emergency fire main repairs.

Application Submittal Requirements

  • Administrative Design Review:  Application for the following projects: additions to single-family residences, accessory structures higher than ten feet and fences, walls, or hedges between six and eight feet in height.
  • Annexation:  To change the jurisdiction of a parcel from another jurisdiction (i.e. the County or other city) to the City of Pleasanton
  • Conditional Use Permit:  Allows specific uses not otherwise allowed in a zoning district, subject to review by the Planning Commission and if the use can meet certain conditions.
  • Condominium Conversion:  To subdivide apartment buildings, apartment complexes, mobile home parks and commercial/office complexes into individually owned units.
  • Design Review:  Applies to exterior modifications of commercial and industrial buildings and some residential projects (additions, re-painting, landscaping removal, new custom homes, etc.)
  • Historic Preservation:  Policies, regulations and processes that apply to residential buildings in residentially zoned properties in the Downtown Specific Plan Area.
  • Housing Site Compliance Review:  Applies to residential development on housing sites designated and/or rezoned as part of the Housing Element Update of the General Plan.
  • Lot Line Adjustment:  Required to move a property line between two or more existing adjacent lots or parcels without creating a new log.
  • Minor Conditional Use Permit:  Allows specific uses not otherwise allowed in the zoning district, subject to review by the Zoning Administrator and if the use can meet certain conditions.
  • Out of Area Service Agreement / Pre-Annexation Agreement:  To connect to City water and/or sewer services to serve existing residence

Schedule an Inspection

Inspection services are available for new residential, commercial and industrial buildings, as well as building additions, remodels and changes in use. 


Log in to Accela Citizen Access (ACA) and schedule appointment under Inspections tab.


Text “Schedule” to (844) 670-9753. For more scheduling options and information see our text instructions brochure.


Call our Voice Permits System at (925) 931-5322, ext. 1.
Inspection codes and more detailed instructions can be reviewed on our Inspection Scheduling handout. Inspectors are available for calls at (925) 931-5300 from 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. on the morning of a scheduled inspection.

Applications & Forms

Handouts & Information


The Permit Center is a customer service center where contractors, homeowners, developers and architects can apply for and obtain development related City permits and approvals. The City of Pleasanton Building, Business License, Code Enforcement, Engineering, Housing and Planning are all represented at the Permit Center.
The Permit center is located at 200 Old Bernal Avenue, next to the City Council Chambers. The phone number is (925) 931-5630 and is open Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Yes, though you can also stop by without an appointment during regular business hours, Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Unless otherwise limited in a project’s specific Conditions of Approval, construction is limited to the following days and times throughout Pleasanton for all properties: Monday through Saturday: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sundays and Holidays: Limited hours with pre-approval by the Chief Building Official upon request. Requests may be denied if previous complaints have been received. Construction hour violations can be reported to the Pleasanton Police Department non-emergency number at (925) 931-5100.
All building permit applications are electronically submitted through our Accela Citizen Access (ACA) website.

Over the counter plan review is by appointment only available Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Please contact the Building & Safety Division at (925) 931-5300 to schedule an appointment.

Yes, you can check your building permit status online using the Accela Citizen Access (ACA) website.