Close this search box.

Emergency Preparedness

fire white icon

Fire Department

More information on how to be prepared in an emergency, CERT and Volunteer Opportunities can be accessed here: 
Disaster Preparedness | Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department

AC Alert

This new service provides a way to quickly alert you in the event of a local emergency and is free to use. These alerts will provide important information you may need to keep you and your family safe.

Sign up for AC Alert through AC Alert – Public – Sign up (

  1. Create your profile account as instructed.
  2. Enter how you want to be contacted, with phone numbers and/or emails.
  3. Enter your primary address and any additional addresses on which you want to be notified.  Emergency alerts are sent based on the locations that you enter.
  4. In addition, you can subscribe for optional notifications from cities based on where you visit for work, or school, etc.

How AC Alert works

If there is a safety hazard or concern in your area, you will get a notification on whichever phone number or email you entered when you signed up.

Once you confirm that you have received the message, the system will stop trying to reach you. If you don’t confirm, the system will continue to try to reach you using all the contact numbers and emails that you provided.

You can update your information at any time. If you would like to stop receiving notifications, you can opt-out by removing your profile from the system.

Earthquake Preparedness

Stay ready in case of an earthquake, US Department of Homeland Security has put together useful information on earthquake preparedness here: Earthquakes |

Know Your Zone - Evacuation Resources

In the event of a wildfire or an emergency situation, law enforcement and fire agencies issue evacuation warnings or evacuation orders for impacted areas. These notices are issued for a Zone with an evacuation Status. 

To check the status of your evacuation zone or turn on your location to get notified about danger wherever you are.

Visit genasys Protect website or download the Mobile App.

Get Power Outage Alerts

For the latest information about outages in your area, please visit the PG&E website.

Extreme Heat

In the summer, multiple days and nights of hot weather can be very dangerous. The City of Pleasanton has ways to help you cool down:

1. Visit our library during its regular business hours:
* Mon – Thu 10am-9pm
* Fri and Sat 10am-5pm
* Sun 1pm-5pm.

2. Watch for notices about official cooling center openings in Pleasanton and other Tri-Valley locations.

3. Remember to always follow these tips during extreme heat:
* Watch for signs of heat illness
* Keep cool/stay hydrated
* Look out for others.

Text your Zip Code to 888777
Or Sign up Online

Get emergency alerts sent straight to your cell phone.
Don’t wait until it’s too late. Enroll today!

Cooling Center Information

A cooling center is a designated space that offers relief during extreme heat events, commonly located in public buildings like community centers and libraries. For the latest information on cooling center locations and hours throughout Alameda County, visit their Open Cooling Facilities dashboard. Tips during Extreme Heat:
  • Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water
  • Avoid strenuous activities during peak heat hours
  • Wear lightweight clothing
  • Check on vulnerable neighbors or family members

Storm Preparation

Are you ready to weather a storm?

Everybody knows the weather is unpredictable, but by taking the time to prepare in advance of any extreme weather, you will be better prepared to weather a storm.  The Public Works Department storm preparation consists of:

  • Inspecting and mitigating the “hot spot” areas in town.
  • Inspecting and cleaning out storm drains of any debris. The Leaf Pickup program (runs seasonally from November-January) is designed to help keep debris out of storm drains.
  • Inspecting waterways to ensure they are clear of any obstructions, 24-48 hours in advance of a possible storm.

Download this PDF for more information regarding Storm Preparedness.

Before a storm

Here are some ways you can be prepared for the winter season:

  • Stay updated with the current weather conditions.
  • Inspect your roof for any damage or leaks and make the necessary repairs.
  • Inspect your property, clearing all private drains, v-ditches and rain gutters and disposing any debris in your trash containers.
  • Check your trees and remove any limbs that look like they could create a safety hazard or those limbs that are too close to your home.
  • Cover toxic materials with tight-fitting lids and/or store them indoors. Clean up any automotive leaks or spills to prevent them from going into the storm drains.
  • If you have had previous experience with flooding at your home, move valuable belongings to higher areas in the home and prepare sandbags early.  The City provides free sandbag stations.  See below for the nearest sandbag station.
  • Review your flood insurance policy to ensure that it provides adequate coverage of your property.
  • Create a family emergency plan (a list of key contacts, an evacuation plan, a safe place to meet family members and an emergency kit with water, food, first aid and a flashlight) to make sure everyone is on the same page. For more information about the emergency kit, see the Flood Warning System section below.

During a Storm

  • Stay away from storm drain channels and areas subject to sudden flooding.
  • Stay away from downed power lines and electrical wires.  Report downed electrical lines to PG&E.
  • Do not attempt to cross a flowing stream.  Even shallow water can sweep you off your feet.
  • Do not drive through flooded streets and avoid leaving the home unless you need to.

After a Storm

  • Continue to monitor the weather and only leave your home if permitted to do so.
  • Report downed power lines and electrical lines to PG&E.
  • Inspect your property and take photos of any damages.

Local Flood Hazard

Less than five percent of the city of Pleasanton is in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). The city of Pleasanton has worked with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to eliminate the majority of the city’s special flood hazard areas (100 year flood zone). To find out if your property is in the regulated floodplain by calling the city’s floodplain management office at (925) 931-5649 or go to the Flood Hazard Information section. For additional information and resources, please view our Flood Information Flyer.

To report any flooding or hazards, please contact the following:

During normal business hours (Monday-Friday from 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.):
Public Works Department
3333 Busch Rd.
(925) 931-5500

Non-Business hours (after 3:30 p.m., weekends and holidays):
Pleasanton Police Department
4833 Bernal Ave.
(925) 931-5100

For downed electrical or power lines:
(800) 743-5000

Sandbag Stations

Free bags and sand are available for residents to fill their own sandbags at the Pubic Works Department.  Please bring your own shovel!

Public Works Department
3333 Busch Road (just off of Valley Avenue)

Flood Hazard Information

The City of Pleasanton has worked with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to eliminate the majority of the City’s special flood hazard areas (SFHA), also known as the 100-year flood zone. A 100-year flood is a flood event that has a 1% chance of occurring in any given year.

Impact of flooding on private and public structures

Some of the programs and activities in which the City participates to ensure everyone’s safety and reduce the impact of flooding on private and public structures include:

  • National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), which makes federally-backed flood insurance available to property owners
  • Community Rating System (CRS), a voluntary program aimed to encourage community floodplain management. All participating property owners benefit from reduced flood insurance rates to reflect the reduced flood risk. Currently, Pleasanton residents within the SFHA receive 15% discount and everyone else receives a 5% discount. Flood insurance covers direct losses caused by surface flooding, including:
    • a river flowing over its banks
    • a lake or ocean storm
    • local drainage problems

Request additional information

As a public service, the City of Pleasanton will also provide the following information upon request:

  • Whether a property is in or out of the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) as shown on the current Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) of the City
  • Additional flood insurance data for a site, such as the FIRM zone and the base flood elevation or depth, if shown on the FIRM
  • The City of Pleasanton maintains elevation certificates (ECs) for new and substantially improved structures in the SFHA since 1993. To find out if the City has an elevation certificate on file for your property click here for a list of ECs on file or you may call (925) 437-4005
  • The City of Pleasanton has information regarding the flood insurance purchase requirement that can help people who need a mortgage or loan for a property in the SFHA.

Is your property within the flood zone?

If you would like to find out if your property is within the flood zone, there are several ways to reach us:

  • Leave a voicemail at the City’s Floodplain Information Message Center at (925) 931-5649, stating the street address and, if available, the subdivision, lot and block number
  • Make a request in person at the City’s Permit Center, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at 200 Old Bernal Ave. For more information, please contact the Engineering Division at (925) 931-5650.
  • Fill out the flood determination request form: Flood Request Determination Form

The City maintains copies of Elevation Certificates, to request a copy of ECs please visit the permit center with your request. City of Pleasanton staff will also make site visits to provide one-on-one advice to property owners regarding flooding and drainage issues on private property. We also have site specific information for some parcels within Pleasanton. For more information, please contact the Engineering Division at (925) 931-5650.

Flood Warning System

Should an evacuation be advised, local officials will notify residents through radio cable TV and the City of Pleasanton’s Operations Services Center, which will disseminate an evacuation notice door to door with bulletins denoting “What To Do, When To Do It and Where to Go.”

Flood Safety

If a hurricane warning is issued, citizens could be asked to evacuate. Before leaving, be sure to:
  • lock all doors and windows and make sure windows are boarded and taped up
  • turn off the electricity at the main breaker terminal and gas system at outside source (the earlier the better if you know how)
    • be alert for gas leaks—use flashlight to inspect for damage
    • do not smoke or use candles, lanterns, or open flames unless you know that the gas has been turned off and the area has been ventilated
  • unplug small appliances
  • towels or rugs should be put around openings to reduce seepage
  • move lightweight or easily damaged items to the highest location possible, securing them and covering with plastic
  • secure outdoor furniture and potted plants
  • place dangerous chemicals, insecticides, herbicides or gasoline in water tight containers and in a high spot
  • If you cannot take pets with you, put out food & water. Watch for animals, including snakes. Small animals that have been flooded out of their homes may seek shelter in yours.

Emergency Kit

Have an emergency kit packed with the following items: water, portable radio, flash light, batteries, blankets, extra clothing, baby products, non-perishable food, manual can opener, medicines, toilet articles, important papers, some cash on hand and valuables. Keep children away from flood waters, ditches, culverts and drains. Watch out for dangling electrical wires and flooded low spots. Report downed power lines to the power company.

Mandatory Purchase of Flood Insurance

About the Mandatory Purchase of Flood Insurance Requirement

The City of Pleasanton participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), which makes Federally backed flood insurance available for all eligible buildings, whether they are in a floodplain or not. Flood insurance covers direct losses caused by surface flooding, including a river flowing over its banks, a lake or ocean storm and local drainage problems.

The NFIP insures buildings, including mobile homes, with two types of coverage: building and contents. Building coverage is for the walls, floors, insulation, furnace and other items permanently attached to the structure. Contents coverage may be purchased separately, if the contents are in an insurable building.

Mandatory Purchase Requirement: The Flood Disaster Protection Act of 1973 and the National Flood Insurance Reform Act of 1994, made the purchase of flood insurance mandatory for Federally backed mortgages on buildings located in Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHAs). It also affects all forms of Federal or Federally related financial assistance for buildings located in SFHAs. The SFHA is the base (100-year) floodplain mapped on a Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM). It is shown as one or more zones that begin with the letter “A” or “V.”

The rule applies to secured mortgage loans from such financial institutions as commercial lenders, savings and loan associations, savings banks and credit unions that are regulated, supervised, or insured by Federal agencies such as the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and the Office of Thrift Supervision. It also applies to all mortgage loans purchased by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac in the secondary mortgage market. Federal financial assistance programs affected by the laws include loans and grants from agencies such as the Department of Veterans Affairs, Farmers Home Administration, Federal Housing Administration, Small Business Administration and the Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

How it Works: Lenders are required to complete a Standard Flood Hazard Determination (SFHD) form whenever they make, increase, extend or renew a mortgage, home equity, home improvement, commercial, or farm credit loan to determine if the building or manufactured (mobile) home is in an SFHA. It is the Federal agency’s or the lender’s responsibility to check the current Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) to determine if the building is in an SFHA. Copies of the FIRM are available for review in most local government building or planning departments. Lenders may also have copies, or they may use a flood zone determination company to provide the SFHD form. If the building is in a SFHA, the Federal agency or lender is required by law to require the recipient to purchase a flood insurance policy on the building. Federal regulations require building coverage equal to the amount of the loan (excluding appraised value of the land) or the maximum amount of insurance available from the NFIP, whichever is less. The maximum amount available for a single-family residence is $250,000. Government sponsored enterprises, such as Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, have stricter requirements.

The mandatory purchase requirement does not affect loans or financial assistance for items that are not covered by a flood insurance policy, such as vehicles, business expenses, landscaping and vacant lots. It does not affect loans for buildings that are not in an SFHA, even though a portion of the lot may be. While not mandated by law, a lender may require a flood insurance policy, as a condition of a loan, for a property in any zone on a FIRM.

If a person feels that a SFHD form incorrectly places the property in the SFHA, he or she may request a Letter of Determination Review from FEMA. This must be submitted within 45 days of the determination.

More information can be found at

For additional information, contact the City of Pleasanton Engineering Division at (925) 931-5650.