Encroachment Permits

Residents or business owners who are planning work that may impact City streets, sidewalks or utilities will need an encroachment permit from the City of Pleasanton Engineering Department. The City right of way typically encompasses the street and the sidewalk on both sides of the street. Please be aware that work within the right of way may require insurance and licenses that contractors carry. Work that could impact vehicular traffic on the street and pedestrian access on the sidewalks may require a traffic / pedestrian control plan to be submitted with the encroachment permit application. If unsure whether an encroachment permit is necessary, please call 925 931-5650 for assistance. Most encroachment permits can be issued the same day over the counter at 200 Old Bernal Avenue, or the encroachment permit application can be faxed to (925) 931-5479. Complicated encroachment permits or permits with traffic control plans may require up to four business days to process.

The Public Works Inspections Division is responsible for the plan review and permit issuance for Utility Company infrastructure (i.e. pipes, poles, transformers, conduits, cabinets, underground vaults, and other facilities) constructed within City streets and sidewalks by utility companies. The Utility Encroachment Permit Application and required attachments can be emailed to PW Inspections Division through utilitypermit@cityofpleasantonca.gov. Please note, the updated permit application includes a checklist of requirements to be incorporated in the project plans starting January 1, 2020. The checklist must be included with the utility encroachment application and incomplete applications will not be reviewed.  

For further information on encroachment permits please see section 13.04 Encroachments of the Pleasanton Municipal Code.

Typical Encroachment Permit Requests

  • Erecting or maintaining any flag, banner, declaration, post , sign, pole, fence, guardrail, wall, loading platform, mailbox, pipe, conduit, wire or other structure.
  • Temporarily placing a moving storage box (POD) in the street.
  • Temporally placing a dumpster/roll-off in the street.
  • Working on utilities in the street (sewer, water, electric, cable, etc.).
  • Repairing the sidewalk, curb and gutter, driveway approach (including curb through drain installation and repairs).
  • Any excavating/trenching or constructing within the right of way.
  • Planting any tree, shrub, grass or other growing thing between the sidewalk and curb.
  • Installing/removing concrete or hard scape between the sidewalk and curb.
  • Placing decorative display, newspaper rack, sign, etc. on the sidewalk.
  • Permitting "sidewalk dining" on public sidewalks.