Due to the Sate and Alameda County Health Department Shelter in place order, the City of Pleasanton will have limited building inspection services until May 3, 2020 (subject to extension). The County order (as revised on 3/31) places stricter limitations on both residential and commercial construction activity. Allowable projects and permits may schedule inspections, however they will be conducted remotely, through a video session on a smart phone or tablet device. All customers wishing to schedule an inspection must contact our staff at 925-931-5300 during normal business hours to do so.
Thank you for your patience during this time.
- No residential construction is permitted except:
- Work to ensure an occupied residence is safe, sanitary and habitable. Examples include securing electrical and gas service for lighting and heating; water heaters and furnaces; operable plumbing for sanitation; completion of roof repairs or replacements in progress; windows and doors if necessary for security or egress; or to address other emergency, health, habitability, and safety issues as determined by the Building Official. In-progress kitchen and bathroom remodels may be allowed to continue if necessary to provide cooking and sanitation, if no alternative facilities are available at the home.
- Affordable housing construction projects as defined in the Order. This excludes work on accessory dwelling units.
- No commercial construction work is permitted, with very limited exemptions, such as work to ensure buildings containing essential businesses (e.g. restaurants, healthcare facilities, etc.), are safe, sanitary and habitable.
- Other allowable work includes that are necessary to ensure construction sites are safe and secure (e.g. fencing, installing stormwater BMPs, covering materials); and to maintain, repair, or operate essential infrastructure.
- Limited Building and Safety Division Services:
- We are only accepting digital building permit applications, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Digital plans are strongly requested as well, through the same email address. Contact our staff to upload large files to our ftp site, or when allowed, to arrange drop-off and pick-up of paper plansets at our Permit Center. Electronic building permit applications and information is available on the City website here.
- Plan checking is being done electronically, and routing electronic plans to our plan check consultants for review.
- All applications will be processed and routed, but will only issue permits for approved types of projects at this time. Other residential and commercial projects will be processed and reviewed, but will not be issued during this shelter-in-place period.
- All payments must be by credit card via phone. Payments will be processed on Tuesday and Thursday only.
- Only scheduling and conducting inspections for allowable projects at this time. Projects will be inspected remotely, through a video session on a smart phone or tablet device supplied by the contractor or homeowner at the job-site; other projects may have on-site inspections, subject to social-distancing protocols.
The City of Pleasanton Building & Safety Division provides plan review and field inspections of all structures to ensure safe, healthy, accessible and sustainable buildings that comply with local and state laws; enforces the City's Municipal Code, current building codes, state mandated energy conservation, disabled access and housing laws; and serves as a resource for homeowners, businesses, contractors and designers.
Plan Review Team:
- Plan review services for new commercial and residential buildings, additions, alterations and repairs to assure that proposed construction work meets minimum life safety, accessibility, sustainability, and structural safety requirements of the codes.
- Over the Counter Plan Review on Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursdays by appointment between 8:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. Call (925) 931-5300 to schedule an appointment and verify if a project sill qualify.
- Other services including same day over-the-counter permits, demolition permits, and fire permits. Visit the Building Permits page for more information.
Building Inspection Team:
- Inspection services for building construction to ensure compliance with approved plans, and local and state building code laws.
- Inspection services available for new residential, commercial and industrial buildings, as well as building additions, remodels, and changes in use.
- Schedule inspections using PleasantonPermits.com or the Voice Permits System at (925) 931-5322.
- Inspectors are available for calls at (925) 931-5300 from 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. on the morning of a scheduled inspection.