Due to the Alameda County Health Department shelter in place order, all City facilities will be closed through the end of May (subject to extension). During this time, the Building and Safety Division will only be accepting electronic submittals. All electronic submittals go through the same standard review process as hardcopy submittals. Submitting electronic does not constitute an expedited review. Submittals do not become an active plan check until payment is received.
For residential new construction, residential remodels or additions, commercial new construction, commercial tenant improvements, etc., please follow the electronic submittal and format instructions below. For residential water heaters, residential furnace/AC change out, or residential reroofs, please email your completed Building Permit Application and information directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org. All other projects, please follow the submittal instructions and format requirements below.
Depending on the type and scope of the project, review and approval by the Planning Division may be required prior to submittal for building permits. Contact a planner in the Planning Division for more information at email@example.com.
ELECTRONIC SUBMITTAL INSTRUCTIONS
Applications may be submitted 24 hours, seven days a week by uploading the Building Permit Application and required submittal documents by selecting the Submit Now link below. Please note, applications are processed during normal business hours, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. to 5 pm. Refer to the Plan Check Submittal Requirements for Commercial Projects handout or the Plan Check Submittal Requirements for Residential Projects handout to understand the information and materials required for your project. Review the electronic format requirements listed below. Hard copy submittals will not be accepted during the temporary closure.
When uploading your application and submittal documents, please include the name and telephone number of the person responsible for payment in the message dialog box so we may contact you/them for payment. All payments must be by credit card via phone. Staff will confirm via email when your application and submittal information has been accepted. After receipt and payment, your project will be routed to a plan checker. Please allow 7-10 business days for processing.
ELECTRONIC FORMAT REQUIREMENTS
Follow the formatting requirements outlined below:
1. PDF - Digital plans and documents must be PDF, with a 250 MB max.
2. Unsecured Settings - Choose "unsecured" on your security settings so that plan reviewers may mark up the documents or create notes.
3. File Naming Conventions - All PDFs should use the same file naming conventions. All drawing files must be named as follow: PROJECT ADDRESS SUBMISSION CYCLE FILE DESCRIPTION Do not include “‐“(dashes) or special characters in the file name. For Example: 123 Main St SUB1 Application; 123 Main St SUB1 Civil Plans; 123 Main St SUB1 Struct Calcs
4. Separate PDFs - Submittal items, plans, and supporting documents shall be saved as a separate PDF (i.e., plans, T-24, structural calculations, soils reports, etc.).
5. Scale - PDF exhibits must be generated at a prescribed scale (i.e. 1/4" = 1'-0", or 1/8" = 1'-0") in order for staff to verify dimensions and areas within the file, using the built-in Acrobat measuring tool. Graphic scales may also be included, but are not required.
6. Orientation - All drawings/plan must uniformly use landscape orientation (except for technical reports or documents). Maintain a uniform page positions and page size for all plans (architectural, landscape, civil, etc.).
7. Stamp Location - Provide a 3-inch high x 6-inch wide clear space on the lower right quadrant for jurisdiction/consulting approval stamps. This is to be consistent amongst all trades.
8. Conditions of Approval - If your project received conditions of approval from the Planning Division, include a copy of all the conditions of approval with your submittal. You must also provide a letter or annotate response to each condition of approval.
After your initial submittal, you will receive a comment letter outlining the corrections needed or your project may be approved. If you receive comments, you will need to address each plan check comment and resubmit adhering to the original submittal requirements. Additional instructions for resubmittals:
A. Include a response letter with a detailed explanation how you addressed the plan check comment, from all Departments/Divisions.
B. Cloud all changes and note delta number on the title block.
C. Use the same format, plan size and scale as the original submittal.
D. Resubmit a complete set of plans.
For questions related to the electronic submittal process, code questions, or general building questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to your submittal!