Neighborhood City Codes


  1. Vehicles may be parked on the street for up to 72 hours at a time. Then they must be driven. They must have current license and registration.
  2. Vehicles may be parked on the driveway, but must be in running condition. If they appear inoperable or junked out, you may be asked to fix them or remove them.
  3. A vehicle cannot be parked in or on a soft surfaced (dirt or lawn) area or lot.
  4. A vehicle cannot block a sidewalk or any other public right-of-way.
  5. No truck or bus larger than a one-ton capacity may be parked or stored on a residential site.
  6. No commercial vehicle with a gross weight greater than three tons may be parked or stored in a residential district.
  7. For information about enforcement of vehicle problems on the street and other public rights-of-way, call the Police at 931-5100.
  8. For information about enforcement of vehicle problems on residential property call Code Enforcement.

Auto Dismantling

"Motor vehicle wrecking yard" means a site or portion of a site on which the dismantling or wrecking of used vehicles, whether self-propelled or not, or the storage, sale or dumping of dismantled or wrecked vehicles or their parts is conducted. The presence outside a completely enclosed structure of three or more used motor vehicles which are not capable of operating under their own power shall constitute prima facie evidence of a "motor vehicle wrecking yard". This type of operation is not allowed in a residential district.

Campers, Boats & Trailers

  1. Camper shells that are off of the truck, boats, and trailers of any kind, are prohibited from being parked and/or stored in the front yard/driveway of a residential site.
  2. No trailer longer than 25 feet may be parked or stored on a residential site.
  3. Except as specified in a use permit authorizing a conditional use, no more than one vehicle, other than automobiles, may be stored on a residential site.

Home Operated Businesses

You may operate certain types of businesses out of your home; however, you must obtain approval and a Home Occupation Permit from the City Planning Department.There are many strict rules involved in doing business out of your home. If you are interested, it is best to call or visit the City Planning Department.

Garage / Yard Sales

Garage / yard sales are considered ancillary to a residential use and may be conducted by the resident of the property. Garage / yard sale items are considered to be those items no longer wanted, or needed, by the resident. More than three garage / yard sales per year and/or the sale of commercial items may be considered as an illegal residential use. It is illegal to place garage/yard sale signs on public property.


Fences are generally not required, however if you build a fence there are certain rules that you must comply with. Generally your backyard and sideyard fences cannot be over 6 feet in height. A front yard fence usually cannot be over 30-inches in height. This 30-inch rule also applies to fences on street corners or areas adjacent to driveways. If a fence is built in the wrong place, it is possible that you are placing your children in a dangerous situation. A wrongly placed fence could prevent a car driver from seeing your children crossing the street from your property. If you have a swimming pool or spa on your property you are required to maintain a fence with a minimum height of four and one half feet around the perimeter of your property, or around the pool or spa.